Sennics is the second Chinese chemical company that joined TfS earlier this year, after Wanhua. TfS had to pleasure to interview Sennic’s CEO Mr Su Fu. He not only shared the company rationale for joining TfS and the expected benefits, but also his views on why the road to TfS membership for Chinese chemical companies seems to be challenging. Mr Su Fu talked about the opportunities and risks for China’s chemical companies in terms of ESG, and how can TfS contribute to the agenda. In terms of recommendations to make TfS even more relevant for the Chinese market, he strongly believes that TfS should serve as a bridge between China’s chemical companies and the world’s leading chemical companies, and promote the good practices and experience of China’s chemical companies in the world. This will foster the development of the global chemical industry and the well-being of the public.
ON SENNICS AND SUSTAINABILITY
Q Briefly introduce your company and explain your positioning on sustainability
Sennics is a world’s leading comprehensive service provider of polymer additives, and is a member of Sinochem International Corporation. Guided by the concept of “In Science We Trust” and adhering to the innovative development concept on ultimate and green growth, the company actively sets the digital, intelligent and service-oriented strategic transformation and upgrading goals with “Smart Sennics” as the core, to provide global customers with outstanding products and services as well as a new brand experience. The company is located at the China (Shanghai) Pilot Free Trade Zone, and has several R&D centers and production bases all over the world. Its main products include rubber antioxidants, vulcanizing agents, vulcanizing accelerators and nitrobenzene among others. Sennics operates in more than 50 countries and regions around the world, and its sales network covers Europe, North America, Southeast Asia, etc.
The company continues to increase its investment in independent R&D and HSE, constantly deepens its cooperation with upstream and downstream industries, and strives to become a trustworthy and comprehensive partner, leading through green innovation.
Sennics is always dedicated to promoting the sustainable development of China’s polymer additive industry, becoming an important participant, guider and leader of the Together for Sustainability (TfS) initiative in the industry, and contributing to the benefits, well-being and healthy development of itself, its employees, communities, upstream and downstream sections in the industrial chain, and the society.
ON JOINING TfS
Q What is the main rationale for Sennics to join TfS?
At present, more and more large companies are introducing sustainability into supply chain management, and communicating and cooperating with upstream and downstream enterprises in the supply chain to enable them to systematically coordinate economic benefits, environmental protection and social responsibility at a strategic height, thereby reducing the risks of cooperation between enterprises, protecting their brands and reputations, and creating more value for the enterprises and society.
As the world’s largest chemical-producing country, China will play an important role in the sustainable development of the global chemical industry chain. As Sennics is a world’s leading comprehensive service provider of polymer additives, joining TfS can not only benefit our company, but also promote the sustainable development of our suppliers, which is conducive to the healthy development of the whole chemical industry in China.
Q What do you see as the main benefits (s) for Sennics?
Joining TfS is necessary for the company
- to better fulfill its social responsibility and actively promote and improve the sustainable development of the supply chain in the chemical industry.
- to establish more development links and more partnerships. TfS is building partnerships with chemical industry associations across the globe. With the establishment and improvement of these networks, the company will leverage the TfS platform to promote the implementation of international standards for sustainable chemical supply chains, and facilitate the company’s sustainable and high-quality development.
- to objectively consolidate the internal foundation for its sustainable development. The company will further leverage various scientific tools to fully and accurately evaluate its current sustainable development capability and level, seek improvements in these aspects, and constantly enhance internal management.
- to improve the well-being of its employees and the related communities. The company will strengthen supply chain and procurement management, further improve operational performance, reduce risks, increase operating earnings, promote the company’s steady development, and benefit its employees and stakeholders.
- to share a common language with leading enterprises around the world and make concerted efforts to realize the industry vision. The company will take joining TfS as an opportunity to promote the industry to jointly set high standards and strict requirements and create a corporate culture crossing the cycle and the industry, thereby creating a more favorable environment and platform for the company’s development.
- to enhance the overall sustainable development level of the upstream and downstream sections and promote its own leadership in the industrial chain. The company will further strengthen the partnerships with its customers, suppliers, etc., jointly build an ecosystem based on high standards for sustainability, enhance the synergistic effects, and promote the common development of the industrial chain.
- and to demonstrate its development achievements and increase its influence in the industry. The company will leverage the TfS platform to gain experience sharing and comprehensive feedback, improve sustainable development practices, realize good interactions in the industry, and promote its innovation-driven development.
TfS AND THE CHINESE CHEMICAL COMMUNITY
Sennics is only the second Chinese TfS member company. The first one was Wanhua who joined in 2016.
Q What is your message to the CEOs of other Chinese chemical companies?
Persistent attention and investment in sustainable development may be the only way to build a century-old enterprise in the future.
Q Do you see specific reasons why the road to TfS membership seems to be challenging for other Chinese chemical companies?
These enterprises are in different development stages, so they have different challenges and adopt different development concepts at present. Whether to join TfS may be not an urgent issue for all Chinese chemical enterprises at present.
Q What are in your opinion the opportunities and risks for China’s chemical companies in terms of ESG, and how can TfS contribute to this agenda?
After 40 years of rapid development, Chinese chemical enterprises have entered international markets, and are playing an increasingly important role in the global chemical industry. We can say that the pursuit of revenue and profits is no longer the primary consideration of industry leaders. It is encouraging and noteworthy that at present, China’s chemical enterprises, especially the leading companies, have reached an all-time peak when it comes to the responsibilities of HSE management for their employees, suppliers, communities and other stakeholders, as well as the attention to their own sustainable development prospects. As an organization with mature ideas, strong charisma and leadership in the industry, TfS can really contribute more wisdom and experience to the development of China’s chemical industry.
Q What are your recommendations to accelerate roll-out of the TfS initiative in China?
TfS should leverage the increasing demands of China’s chemical enterprises for sustainable development, constantly increase the understanding and recognition of the governments, enterprises and the general public about the content and spirit of the TfS initiative, and continuously improve the sustainable development environment for China’s chemical enterprises.
Q What are your recommendations to make TfS even more relevant for the Chinese market?
TfS should serve as a bridge between China’s chemical enterprises and the world’s leading chemical enterprises, popularize the good practices and experience of China’s chemical enterprises throughout the world, introduce advanced concepts and models in overseas markets to China, strengthen communication and interactions between domestic and foreign chemical enterprises, and jointly enhance industrial development, to contribute to the development of the global chemical industry and the well-being of the public.