TfS Work Stream 4 “Capability building & communications” is developing and rolling out a series of new learning offers on all things decarbonisation. These learning plans are designed to help TfS members and our suppliers understand, measure, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions across operations and supply chains.
The chemical sector, as one of the largest emitters of greenhouse gases, has a significant responsibility and opportunity to decarbonise its operations and supply chains. However, decarbonisation is not an easy task. It requires a comprehensive understanding of the sources and types of emissions, as well as the methods and tools to measure, report, and reduce them.
That is why this TfS Work Stream 4 has developed and is starting to roll out a series of new learning plans on decarbonisation on the TfS Academy. These learning plans are aimed at educating and empowering TfS members and their suppliers on how to address the decarbonisation challenge and achieve their sustainability goals.
The new learning plans cover various aspects of decarbonisation, such as:
- Introduction to Climate Change: This learning plan provides an overview of the basics of climate change, the role and impact of the chemical sector, and the expectations from companies. It also introduces how TfS supports companies to achieve their expected goals.
- Calculating Scope 1 & 2 Emissions: This learning plan explains what Scope 1 and 2 emissions are, how to calculate them, and what are the main challenges and potential solutions.
- Calculating Scope 3 Emissions: This learning plan explains what Scope 3 emissions are, why they are important to account for, and how to start calculating them using the TfS PCF Guideline.
- Setting Climate Targets: This learning plan explains what are science-based targets, why they are important, how to set them using the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) framework, and good practices from TfS member companies.
- How To Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions: This learning plan helps learners understand the different levers to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the chemical industry and value chains, and how to plan and implement them in your company and supply chain.
- Introduction to Product Carbon Footprints (PCFs): This learning plan introduces learners to the concept of PCFs. It also familiarises them with the TfS PCF Guideline and its standards, goals, and audience.
The learning plans are designed for different target audiences, such as decision-makers, corporate sustainability teams, sustainable procurement teams, procurement and sales teams, or scope leads. The learning plans and individual courses therein will be rolled out as soon as they are available between now and early 2024. Keep an eye out from communications by TfS including the TfS Academy newsletter to see when a new course is available. The content will be delivered first in English, but will then also be translated into various languages including Chinese, Spanish, and Portuguese.
The TfS Academy is a valuable resource for anyone who wants to learn more about decarbonisation and how to drive it in their business. By completing these learning plans, learners will gain the knowledge and skills to decarbonise their operations and supply chains and contribute to a more sustainable future.
Rebecca Weicht, LyondellBasell, Chair of TfS Work Stream 4 “Capability building and communications”